The Ellis Estate covers 96 wooded acres of trails and conservation land with the Bailey-Ellis House as its the centerpiece. The house was built in 1830 by John Wade Bailey who called it Elm Heights. As the legend goes, the name was inspired by a towering American elm on the property, “…so large and so tall that Mariners at sea took their positions from it.” Eventually Bailey’s grandson, Walter Ellis, changed the name of the house to Ellsberg, “Ells” for Ellis and “burg” translating from the Latin as hill or mountain. Fun fact: This historical property has served as the location for films like Ghosthouse and The House by the Cemetery.

Nearby Destinations

Pizza with red sauce
CP’s Woodfired Pizza

3.18 miles from this location

BLT
Circe’s Grotto

0.3 miles from this location

Scituate Arts Association Front Street Gallery
Front Street Art Gallery

3.24 miles from this location

brisket on a cutting board
Rivershed

3.18 miles from this location